Friday, November 7, 2008

Today's Flowers #14

Photobucket

a Nicandra or Shoo-fly Plant or Apple of Peru, Nicandra physaloides. This is one of my favourite flowers because it will grow and flower until late in the year, almost all year round if kept inside. It's also very easy to grow from seeds. But if you have one plant in your garden, it's really hard to get rid of and will pop up everywhere, the seeds are so tiny that they get carried away with the slightest wind one the seed vessel bursts.
The flowers will turn into lovely laterns, allowing the seeds to ripen within.
Photobucket

14 comments:

coca cutie said...

Amazing colors!
Thanks for the information :)

Denise said...

How beautiful and so interesting. I have never seen these before. I enjoyed learning about something new. Thank you.

dot said...

How pretty!! Every time I come here I admire your header picture but forget to tell you. So today I remembered.

Darla said...

So pretty, gotta to be careful with those flowers that want to take over.

Napaboaniya said...

Beautiful purple shade and brought a smile to my face :)

Paz said...

Beautiful flowers. I'm happy to learn their names from you. Beautiful photos.

Paz

Arija said...

How very, very beautiful, both the lovely blue flower and the seed pods.

Mckay K said...

This plant is so pretty. Thanks for the information on it.

arleena said...

In my terrace was they blue flowers in summer.
Beautiful flowers.

Day4plus said...

Very pretty. Love the blue. MB

Reader Wil said...

How absolutely wonderful! I love this colour blue so much! I wish you could send me some of those seeds!!

david santos said...

Well, well, well! Excellent posting and pretty colors!!! Congratulations!!! Have a nice week.

nonizamboni said...

Exotic BLUE flowers and elephants--it doesn't get much better than that for me. Thanks for sharing!

fishing guy said...

Both of the flowers are really neat, you put out some nice photos in this post.