Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas

In Germany, Christmas is celebrated on the 24th of December. Usually, we decorate the tree in the afternoon, then eat dinner and after dinner the presents are opened. Many people eat just a very simple dinner, like sausages with potato salad or cold roastbeef. The 25th and 26th are the days for visiting relatives (and the anual family rows). Since my grandparents are dead, we spend those days at home, taking walks, enjoying our presents and each other's company - Christmas is the only time in the year when I can visit my parents (although they come and visit me in Hamburg, too).

Here's our tree
Photobucket
It's a family tradition to decorate the tree with sparklers and burn them before we open our presents - less dangerous than real candles and just as pretty.

Photobucket
Our nativity scene, it's older than me and another family tradition. The sheeps don't match and the angel on top doesn't belong to it originally, but has managed to become a part of it when I decided as a child that the scene needed an angel. It's my job to set it up, my dad decorates the tree (this year, he cut the cable of the light string by accident...could be easily repared though). My mom is the official Buyer of Christmas Ornaments.

Photobucket
Our pyramid: the Holy Faily is in the middle and the shepherds on top and the Three Kings below are circling them. The whole thing is moved by the hot air from the candles. It's something you see in many German households.
The bearded guy behind it is a nutcracker, the little red-robed fellow a Raeuchermaennchen.

Photobucket
I saw that little angel in a shop and I knew i had to get it for my mom.We both love figurines, stuffed toys ect. with that kind of face: little dots for eyes and a big goofy grin.

This will be my next My World Tuesday post, I'm a bit early ;)

14 comments:

Ruth said...

I love your Christmas decorations. It is nice to have good Christmas memories. Merry Christmas to you1

Mojo said...

We used to have tree ornaments that word like that. This was before the days of LED tree lights, back when you used real light bulbs that gave off lots of heat. The ornaments were hung above the lights and the heat would cause the propeller to spin, reflecting the light at intervals. They don't work so well with LEDs that give off almost no heat, so I don't know what became of them.

Natural Moments said...

Your Christmas Pyramid looks fascinating. I like the concept of it and how it works.

Happy Holidays.

Dirk said...

Familien ist sehr wichtig dieser Tagen. Ich wusche ihnen ein glückliches Neues Jahr!

imac said...

Fasinating post, love your decos.

fishing guy said...

Jennife: Those are beautiful Christmas captures from your world.

FickleMinded said...

amazing! I love traditons and it makes me miss my family back in my home country.
My World Tuesday

Leora said...

Very nice to have all those family traditions. A sweet smiling angel!

ewok1993 said...

It's nice learning other people's and other world's Christmas traditions. Have a wonderful New Year.

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Sounds like you have lovely Christmas traditions!

Happy New Year!

babooshka said...

This was fascinating to see how you celebrate and on the 24th what we know here as Christmas Eve. Blogging teaches us so much.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh you have brought back such great memories of when i lived in Germany, i remember that our tree was never decorated till late, kids went to bed early and the tree would be decorated and then we would be awakened, then dinner and then opening of the presents. I also remember the lighting of the candles on the tree, that was when they used real candles. Do you still use real candles on the tree?. I wish now i had posted a photo of my last Christmas with my mother and grandmother and our tree before coming to the states in 1959 I think it will always be my best Christmas ever.

antigoni said...

Beautiful memories, moments and traditions. Happy new year.

Dee said...

We used to celebrate Christmas on the 24th with my mom's family and the 25th with my dad's family.