Saturday, January 31, 2009

Camera Critters

Vir, Londo and Dr. Bunsen

Some of my hermit crabs enjoying a walk on the wall. From left to right: Dr Bunsen, Londo and Vir. Londo died a while ago during a molt (crabs shed their exoskeleton and it's a very stressful procedure for them), but the other two are still with me. Vir is about the size of a small apple and my guess is that he's about 30 years old.
Photobucket

All land hermit crabs are wildcaught and there's no good way to tell their age, so it's just a guess. But there are two crabs who have lived for 30 years in captivity, they are bigger than Vir, and there are even bigger crabs known (the size of a small coconut), so it's safe to assume that they can grow much older than that. Most of my crabs are rescues, though, from people who couldn't or wouldn't keep them anymore.

They enjoy climbing (again, Dr Bunsen):
Photobucket

shopping for new shells (Trinity)
Trinity goes shell shopping

and sometimes just sitting and staring into space (Horatio)
Horatio

or hiding in their shell (Bartleby, named after the Melville short story Bartleby the Scrivener because he'd prefer not to ... come out of his shell, walk around ect. - at least not when anyone's watching)
Bartleby

This is my crabitat, a terrarium 3x1.5x1.5 ft long, wide and high (roughly a 80g) that houses 16 crabs, they are very social and love company.
Crabitat May 2006, left side: the Jungle
left side - the jungle with hiding places, plants and fresh water
Crabitat May 2006, right side: the Beach
right side - the beach with saltwater and extra shells

If you want to learn more about land hermit crabs, check this website:
http://www.thecrabbagepatch.com/

and go over to the Camera Critters meme to see more critter photos!

19 comments:

Rose said...

You just brought back good memories for me of my daughters bringing home hermit crabs! I hadn't thought of that in ages.

Grammy said...

What great photos. It is fun to watch them change shells.
Have a great week.
Grammy
Missouri, USA

Sue said...

Beautiful pics of these critters! I had no idea how big they were before! I thought they were actually much smaller. Thanks for your visit :)

Teena in Toronto said...

What cool pets!

I played too :)

Carolina said...

They are actually quite cute. Never thought I would say that about a crab ;-) Really trendy shells they wear!

ramblingwoods.com said...

I didn't know anything about them or that they were kept as pets. Great info and they are kind of cute in a crabby way...

Tammy said...

Those are really neat! We have a red eared slider turtle. I would love to get some hermit crabs someday.

Noner said...

Wow, thats a big hermit! All the ones I ever see are tiny.

My CC is up at http://yummydown.com/rattitude/?p=167

Bruce said...

Those are silly looking critters. I've never seen one of those things, but they look like they'd be fun to chase:)

Your EG Tour Guide said...

How interesting that hermit crabs find it stressful to molt. Nice photos!

June said...

Enjoyed seeing and reading!

Darla said...

I haven't heard about hermit crabs in forever!

Carletta said...

I loved this photo essay of your little hermit crabs. What a really neat post!
Every time we went to the beach my daughter wanted a hermit crab and usually got one or two.

Indrani said...

You actually held them?! I would have been scared.And your crabitat is interesting.

b13 said...

Very cool shots. I recently saw one in a clear glass "shell" so that you could see the whole body.

Dianne said...

hermit crabs are fascinating!

ratmammy said...

i bet they are fascinating to watch!

ViennaDaily said...

wow you got lots! I enjoyed looking at them, they seem to be a happy and playful bunch!

Marcia L. Neil said...

Thank you for posting your photos of the hermit crabs you found in Italy, seen at Hermitcrabassociation.com.