Monday, January 5, 2009

MyWorld Tuesday

2009 starts with snow and a really cold spell. Even the gulls down at the port don't want to move much and prefer to hunker down somewhere.
Photobucket

I wanted to get a view across the port, but the weather had other idea. That's not fog, it's all snow.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here's a German New Year tradition: Dinner for One. It's a sketch and it's show every New Year's Eve on TV several times on different channels. Just about everyone in Germany know it and most of the people in (West) Germany have watched it year for year ever since it was shown for the first time in 1963.
Miss Sophie is celebrating her 90th birthday and has invited her four best friends. There's just the tiny little problem that they are all dead and have been for decades, but Miss Sophie and her butler James have found a solution for that. I have no idea if anyone outside Germany will find this funny and I always wondered about that - so let me know :)


Travel around the world over at the My World Tuesday meme!

17 comments:

babooshka said...

Fascinating tradition the Dinner for One Sketch. Nice to dip into your world.

fishing guy said...

Jennife: Those are some nice area photos and the vedio was funny with the butler having to drink all the parts.

antigoni said...

Excellent post! The sketch is so funny....

ewok1993 said...

Snowy start for the year. That could only mean one thing---more blessings this year.

Happy New Year.

Louise said...

Your world looks as cold as my world feels! Love the gull!

Arija said...

I like your presently grey world. I have only known the English version of that sketch which certainly the English speaking world is familiar with and is often played around the New Year although not as a cult item as it is in Germany,

Reader Wil said...

This movie "Dinner for One" is priceless! It's so funny! Your photos have a real mysterious atmosphere. I like the misty, snowy ones!

imac said...

Great shots showing the cold weather, cheered up by the funny Film.

Elaine Dale said...

Thanks for the view of your world in Germany. I have a good friend who lives in Erding, Germany and visited her there in September 1980 - it was beautiful. Happy New Year!

Marites said...

love the pics but am not a fun of cold weather hehehe! it seems the cold weather is quite prevalent in a lot of parts in the world. My world entry is up here

mannanan said...

Great batch of photos there. We're lucky here on the island as we haven't had hardly any snow this winter.
Thanks for sharing your world with us.

Wren said...

That gull in the first picture does look a bit chilly, but at least he's not yet getting snowed upon.

Natural Moments said...

I've been to Hamburg when I was a kid once with my Dad and sister. I mainly remember how big the Harbor was and all of the bridges there were. I have slow internet so I couldn't watch the video, but I have never heard about the tradition before. I stayed with my Grandmother in Berlin for one new years though, so perhaps I did see it before.

ViennaDaily said...

LOL! Traditional comedy without the green jokes!

what thick fog! When, I was a kid (still in a tropical country), my dad always tells me stories about his days at Hamburg and how big the fishes they would always have :D And he sends me photos at the port with seagulls too!

The Arthur Clan said...

I really like your first photo of the seagull. And wow...that's a lot of snow!

~Angie
www.thearthurclanphotos.blogspot.com

soulbrush said...

i know seagulls are a nuisance, but i do like them a lot. what amazing shots of the snow.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

I have just found your blog - what interesting photos!

I love the atmospheric ones of the cranes.

Also the lichens; they are like textured paintings, or embroidery!

I would have liked to have seen the Dinner for One, but couldn't open the film - I'll try again later.
Many thanks.