Sunday, March 15, 2009

MyWorld Tuesday

Photobucket

The Hamburger Kunsthalle, the Hamburg museum of visual arts. I went there last month for the Edgar Degas exhibition and as always ended up touring the whole building (with the expection of the modern art section, the exhibitions are just not my taste). They had some really awesome exhibitions in the past, for example Caspar David Friedrich and one of my favourite painters, Francis Bacon. I went twice to that one just to see the Screaming Pope (see the Wiki article I linked), it's a painting that really gives me the creeps even when I look at it on a computer screen and seeing it in real life, measuring 60×46 inches, was even more creepy. It looks like it may come to life every second, screaming or laughing madly at you.

When you stand in fron of the Kunsthalle and turn round, you see the Hamburg central station:
Photobucket


See other people's world over at MyWorld Tuesday

16 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful shots! Thanks for sharing your world! Have a great week!

ewok1993 said...

Nice shots. Looks like a fun place to spend a day.

BTW, what is ook?

nadia said...

A very interesting tour of your world with lovely pictures! Thank you so much for sharing, Jennifer.

PS: I took a look at the painting of the Screaming Pope that you linked - it's so creepy!

gnometree said...

Love the buildings, but I am definitely not a fan of Francis Bacon! Creepy.

SandyCarlson said...

These are wonderful. I would love to see a Degas show again.

Guy D said...

Fantastic architecture in both pics, you captured it perfectly.

Have a great week!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

bettyl said...

Great photos! Thanks for the info, too!

Babooshka said...

Beautiful building and Bacon was definitely a very striking artist.

Janie said...

I looked at the screaming pope link. I agree, very spooky!
Great shots of your world. I enjoyed the visit.

Müge said...

I understand very well your enthousiasm! I had the same feeling when I had visited the Uffizi Gallery in Florence/Italy and saw in real Botticelli’s “La Nascita di Venere”. Seeing other great painters’ works in real was certainly very interesting but I was completely fascinated before the beauty of Botticelli’s masterpiece. I’ve never been to Germany but I would very much like to make a cultural trip and visit German museums and historical places.

Friendly greetings from Istanbul/Turkei,

Lilli & Nevada said...

Love that first photo thanks for the tour

Arija said...

So nice to see something of Hamburg again, and I Agree with you about most of modern art as well as music scored for vacuum cleaner and orchesta.

Indrani said...

Oooh! That was real creepy one! Thanks a lot for the information shared.

allhorsestuff said...

Wow, nice buildings and shots!

The Good Life in Virginia said...

yes..that painting is indeed creepy:)
enjoyed your post.
i just returned from two weeks in italy and enjoyed visiting many art museums while there.
have a great week.
erin

marina said...

Beautiful buildings! They look old and I like old, traditional and ancient things!