Saturday, April 18, 2009

Camera Critters: Marabou

Photobucket

A marabou at the Vogelpark Walsrode. While it was standing there, a duck swam near it and the marabou eyed it very interestedly, while the duck stretched its neck and then stopped moving alltogether.

Photobucket

I just had time to think "That's one suicidal duck!" and then the marabou had grabbed its neck and was shaking it. I fully expected it to try and swallow the duck, I thought that the duck was already dead or at least dying.

Photobucket

But after a few seconds, the marabou let go again and the duck raised its head, ruffled its feathers and swam away. I have no idea what that was about. Marabou chiropractor?

The Camera Critters Meme has more great pictures of cute animals, go there and take a look!

12 comments:

Dina said...

That is one strange looking bird, the marabou. And you captured quite a drama! You would think the bird-neighbors in a Vogelpark would be more friendly to one another.
Glad there was a happy end.

i beati said...

At last someone who makes my hair look good. you always have such beautiful (blue flowers) content that I decided to link you ok??

Reader Wil said...

I always found the marabou like an old wise professor! Perhaps he wanted to impress the duck! It has a very sharp bill! Thanks for sharing this story! Thanks for your visit! I am going to sow the seeds you sent me last year.

Snap said...

Wow! You captured quite a story!

fishing guy said...

Ook: What a neat story and some great photos from the strange encounter.

koala said...

That's one freakish bird;)

Mama Zen said...

Poor duck!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

You witnessed quite an interesting scene. I'm glad the duck was OK! Hmmm. That does sound strange.

Karen said...

That bird reminds me of a Judge or a High Court Solicitor :-)

Nice shots !!

Dirk said...

Great picture story,seems the duck has no fear of the marabou.

ViennaDaily said...

First time i saw such a bird. It looks silent but hiding something inside...

Misty Dawn said...

What an interesting post! That Marabou is certainly a unique and interesting bird, and your story is intriguing!