Thursday, May 7, 2009

Camera Critters: Coot family

Photobucket
a family of coot - the parents were leading their chicks and offering them morsels of food every now and then, although the chicks were also searching for food by themselves.
Photobucket
I can never watch a scene like that without worrying after I found out that when food is scarce, coots will actually kill some of their own chicks. The chick begs for food and the parents will bite and peck it until it eventually stops to beg and starves. At least I'm reasonably sure that this won't happen with this family because I took the photos at the zoo.

The chicks are so ugly they are cute and look at those feet - it's amazing that they can actually walk with them (not that the feet of the adults look any less weird)
Photobucket

This post is part of the Camera Critters meme - go there to see a lot more cute critters!

15 comments:

Indrani said...

I didn't know the adult kills the baby coot for food. I noticed their large feet.

Karen said...

Those feet are HUGE !!!

Especially the ones on the adult birds. They look like garden rakes!

Nice photos and interesting information.

Digital Polaroids said...

Lovely birds, and let me tell you, the 2nd picture is the best

Martha said...

I agree, so ugly they're cute. I love this post!

Martha said...

What great shots! :-)

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

Very interesting post! I have never seen these before and the little ones have so much color around their head and neck! Lu

Kitty said...

It's feet! They are something else entirely :D But so adorable on the top half.

VALKYRIEN said...

Oh my - so cute! That is the first time I have seen the chicken to the Coot! I see the grownups often in a lake nearby though - lovely birds!
Thanks for sharing the chicken! :)

Ladynred said...

Ohh that is beautiful shots. love the chicks..Happy Mother's Day!

Snap said...

Wonderful! Love this family shot!

Tammy said...

Awww, look at the baby birds!

b13 said...

Oh my! Those babies are too coot... I mean cute!

Jenn Jilks said...

Beautiful shots, especially close to Mother's Day! My mother passed away the day before M.D. - it is an especially bittersweet time.

Dianne said...

their feet are huge!

I hope there will always be enough food for all coot!

Adrienne in Ohio said...

These are great shots! I love the last one best. What big feet he has!