Monday, June 22, 2009

MyWorld Tuesday: Museum of Mineralogy

The Museum of Mineralogy belong to the University and it's one of the less known museums in Hamburg - maybe because it's only open for two days per week. But it has an amazing collection and it's free of charge.
Photobucket
the blue bobble is canvasite, on a piece of stilbite

Photobucket
Pyrite also known as Fool's Gold - it is beautiful. The piece was rotating under a spotlight and the reflections were mesmerizing. When I visit a museum or art gallery, I choose three pieces that I would steal if I could and that is definitely of of them. It's fun to compare lists when you visit a museum with other people :)

As an aside, the explorer Martin Frobisher (1539 – 1594) loaded his ship with 1500 tons of Pyrite when travelling in Northern Canada, believing it to be gold. He made a second voyage and brought back another 1300 tons, only to be told that it's worthless. Whatever did the do with all that stuff?

Photobucket
a marcasite nodule

Photobucket
a piece of silver (the second item on my to steal-list)

Photobucket
gold

Photobucket
gypsum - the formation is known as desert rose. I'd love to touch one.

Photobucket
a detail from a piece of vivianite

Photobucket
onyx

Photobucket
crocidolite, also known as blue asbestos

Photobucket
I forgot to take a picture of the sign, so I don't know what this is - but it's the last item on my list :)

Photobucket
a piece of fossilized tree - reminds me a bit of a Jackson Pollock painting

Photobucket
azurite (blue) and olivenite (green)

Photobucket
again, I don't know what that is - but it looks like a cubistic painting

I hope you enjoyed the visit! Continue to travel the world with the MyWorld Tuesday meme.

14 comments:

Dina said...

Hard to believe what is hidden in the earth, below our feet.
What a wonderful museum.
Wunderbar. Vielen Dank.

SandyCarlson said...

These are works of art!

Carver said...

That looks like a fascinating museum. You got some great shots of the exhibits.

Guy D said...

Looks like a fascinating museum, nice shots.

Have a great week
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Erin said...

i just love the textural qualities of all the minerals...so different, so interesting. a very lovely post. thanks for taking the time to share your visit with us.
enjoyed.

nadia said...

"Martin Frobisher loaded his ship with 1500 tons of Pyrite when travelling in Northern Canada, believing it to be gold. He made a second voyage and brought back another 1300 tons, only to be told that it's worthless." Poor guy!

Learned so much from this post; thank you. And the shots are beautiful.

Sylvia K said...

What a marvelous museum trip! And so different! I love all of your shots! Really fascinating information, too.
Great post!

Babooshka said...

Absolutely fascinating. My partner studied geology and was a former paleontologist so I know this world so well. Beautifully captured.

ewok1993 said...

Very nice. I am interested in visiting a minerals museum.

Island Rambles Blog said...

Each post on My World is so different....I love the minerology posting...each rock has a story to tell. cheers.

Arija said...

Oh what fun! We used to have a great geological collection at Flinders University in Adelaide before economic rationalism brought in administrators and sacked the scientists! The wonders this earth produces are so manifold....my rocks on our farm just glommer in the sun with their wealth of mica, both silver and gold.

Hazel said...

I enjoyed my visit very much. Thanks a lot for sharing. The onyx reminds me of my lost onyx ring.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

So fantastic and beautiful stones and minerals !! This is so amazing..Unseen Rajasthan

Karen said...

Those are incredible !!

I love spending time at the museum in Carson City, looking at all the rocks,crystals, minerals, etc.

So awesome that all that is there beneath us, in some shape or form..

Great shots..