Saturday, July 18, 2009

Camera Critters: Harvestman and Crab

Photobucket

I found this yesterday: the Venus flytrap on my balcony has trapped a harvestman/daddy longlegs (an arachnid, but not a spider) that was probably trying to eat the fly leftovers that the trap caught before. I feel a bit sorry for him, especially since he was still waving his legs when I found him.

On a happier note, I have seven more land hermit crabs who needed a new home after their previous owner decided to give up crabbing.
Photobucket
here they are exploring the kritter keeper I put them in after I brought them home
Photobucket

and here's one of them in the crabitat
Photobucket

See more critters over at the Camera Critters meme

16 comments:

mrsb said...

LOL! You have a crabitat! I have one hermit crab (others have come and gone) that has been around for about 5 years now. I have no idea how he is still alive! I've never seen one last that long.

He's the easiest pet I've ever had!

Snap said...

Crabitat! What fun! Poor daddy long legs. :( I enjoyed your post. Very different!

Dina said...

I also think crabitat is a great word.
That first pic is really creepy. See-through, even. Good "capture."

Carletta said...

Poor Granddaddy!
My daughter loved hermit crabs growing up - brings back memories.

LOVE the elephant shots below!!!

My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

Esther Garvi said...

Wow! They are beautiful!!! You really did them justice with your macros!

Babooshka said...

Crabitat has now become word of the day. Great nature captures.

Grammy said...

How cool. A crabatate.

i beati said...

so many unusual shots thanks

Adrienne in Ohio said...

Crabitat! I love it. :) My boys are asking for a pet and I've heard these are easy to care for. What do you think? (They are 5 and 8 yrs. old.)

Minie said...

what a lovely color of their shells. happy weekend.

minie

Mara said...

I feel sorry for that daddy longlegs! What a sad way to have your life ended. Great photo though...

Reader Wil said...

Fascinating how crabs are coping with moving house!!

Shobha said...

Hi
Sensational photographs. Seeing venus flytrap & hermit crabs for the first time. Thanks for sharing.Pure joy to see.
Ram

Denise said...

Don't get to see these very often. Thanks for sharing them.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Some beautiful shots !! Thanks for sharing..Unseen Rajasthan

Jonny Hamachi said...

Sometimes I live in a Crabitat.

Great Blog!