Sunday, July 5, 2009

MyWorld Tuesday: Bus and Ships

Photobucket

Where did that come from? I don't know if someone actually shipped an US schoolbus to Germany, but it did look very much like the real thing and not like a remodelled bus made to look like one.

Photobucket
See that guy standing on the platform? I don't know what he was thinking, the Elbe is dangerous to swim in!
I'm just pulling your leg of course, it's a statue. There are more of him to be found in other parts of the port and one is riding a giraffe (statue) in front of the zoo.

Photobucket
harbour police

Photobucket
a tugboat

Photobucket
The photos were taken in Oevelgoenne, a part of Hamburg were many captains used to live and spend their retirement, and there are a few museum ships, for example a fire ship and an icebreaker. The ship in the photo is an Ewer, the name comes from the Dutch envarer, which would translate to German Einfahrer = one driver. Originally, Ewer only had one crewmember. The big wooden paddles, daggerboards, are typical for Ewer and are used to stabilize the ship in the water to avoid drifting and spinning in the water.

Travel around the world with the MyWorld Tuesday meme

14 comments:

Erin said...

enjoyed the many vehicles in and out of the water. that statue fellow in the water...is that a piece of art?
a most interesting post and i so enjoyed your shots.

Luiz Ramos said...

Great your World. I like the stand up statue!

Carver said...

That is odd how the US school bus showed up in Germany. Great shot. Also love the shots on the water.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

wow different for me and looks cold?

Canarybird said...

Hi Jennifer. I enjoy seeing your photos of Germany, especially since my husband is German.

ewok1993 said...

The statue looked like a live man. Regarding the US school bus, maybe Matt Damon is filming another Bourne movie :)

SandyCarlson said...

That bus is convincing! Great images near the water, too!

Babooshka said...

I do wonder how the bus got there, but the cranes dockside are very much like my harbour.

Marja said...

That was interesting to learn that it comes form envarer I love the boat on the last picture I think the statue is very funny Wonder if it misleads people in real

Paul said...

love the pics of the waterfront

Arija said...

Love the two master all ship shape and trim. I like the humour of the stranded fellow in the Elbe.

Swarna said...

Hi
Nice shots of your world.
(BTW welcome to India in summer to taste all those mangoes. :)

Wren said...

You create a wonderful walk around your world.

I hope Mr Statue is careful not to fall into the water.

Snap said...

Wonder where the school bus came from? Too funny! Loved the water boats/ships. I enjoy watching the activity around ports .. the coming and going.