Monday, July 27, 2009

MyWorld Tuesday: Dove Elbe

Photobucket
This weekend, we went canoeing on the Dove Elbe, a side branch of the Elbe. I had never been canoeing before and I had a blast. Today, my arms ache, but it was worth it.
Photobucket

We saw a ton of wildlife, mainly birds. Geese (Grey and Canada Goose)
Photobucket

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus)
Photobucket

a Great Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) and an Eurasian Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus), which I hadn't seen in the wild before
Photobucket

these are some kind of waders (shorebird)
Photobucket

They flew ahead of us, finally gathering on the shore to continue looking for prey.
Photobucket

See other peoples' world at the My World Tuesday meme

10 comments:

Dina said...

Look at all those birds! and water!!! Looks like great fun.

Sylvia K said...

What a marvelous canoe trip! And your photos are delightful! Love all the birds!

Have a great week!
Sylvia

marcia@joyismygoal said...

good captures birds and water go together like cookies and milk

Leslie: said...

Very nice, indeed! I don't think my arms would manage rowing anymore, but glad you enjoyed it. :D

erin said...

what a wonderful way to spend a day...canoeing. and you were so lucky to capture all those beautiful birds.

i am trying to convince my husband we need to purchase a small boat of some kind and spend weekends at the lake.

ewok1993 said...

You looked like the canoe trip was a blast. I haven't done that yet. Maybe I should after your experience.

Babooshka said...

So close to those cormorants is impressive. I would be very happy to tire my arms canoeing here for a look at those beauties.

Arija said...

Canoeing and kayaking can be great fun and good exercise and you can sneak up on the wildlife.

Reader Wil said...

You must have had a great time canoeing on the river, in spite of your sore arms!

R.Ramakrishnan said...

Marvelous shots of water bodies and birds. The geese on the green lawns look great.I enjoyed this post as I happen to be a bird watcher.
Have a great day. Ram