Saturday, August 1, 2009

Camera Critters: Bug and dragonfly

Photobucket
Some kind of bug, I'm not sure what it is. It jumped when I touched it instead of flying away.

Photobucket
a four-spotted chaser (skimmer in the US), Libellula quadrimaculata

Photobucket
a male broad-bodied chaser (Libellula depressa), the females have a golden abdomen. They are rare and I hadn't see one in ages. Nice to know that they are still around.
Both species are fairly big dragonflies, with a bodylength of almost 2 inches.

See more critters at Camera Critters

14 comments:

Dirk said...

The last dragonfly is very beautiful, very nice.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: Your dragonfly is wonderful and that little hopper was cute.

Denise said...

Great critter photos, loved them all.

Adrienne in Ohio said...

Wow, love your dragonfly photos! The red one looks like a cross between a leaf-hopper and a ladybug. Very interesting!

Sue said...

I enjoyed your bugs. Thanks for your nice comment on my post.

Snap said...

Love the dragonflies. We've had many in the garden this year, but they won't be still to have their portraits done!

Reader Wil said...

Beautiful shots especially the last one! Thank you so much for telling me about the video! I put it on my blog!

Shey said...

Wonderful close-ups in here. Love all the captures. I never get close-ups like these, absolutely beautiful.

Happy weekend! :)

FA said...

From one animal lover to another: "great blog"! Thanks for following Monastery Daily Photo.

i beati said...

looks like his walking stick in the second frame sandy

Carletta said...

Oh, nice shots!
I've been chasing dragonflies and damselflies for a couple of weeks for a good shot. :(

mimi said...

what a cute bug and dragonfly, i love their colors.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Beautiful shot !! This is so lovely..Unseen Rajasthan

R.Ramakrishnan said...

Wonderful pics of the bug and dragonfly.