Saturday, August 15, 2009

Camera Critters: Fishy!

Photobucket
a Prickly Leatherjacket - what an awesome name *g* It's scientific name is Chaetodermis penicilligerus and in Danish it's called Frynsefilfisk (I just found that word too cute not to post).

in front of some corals and stones it's incredibly well camouflaged
Photobucket

Photobucket
You know those fish that clean the glass from algae in fishtanks? That's one of them and his head is about as big as a man's fist.

Photobucket
a shoal of Glass catfish (Kryptopterus minor)

Photobucket
A young male ribbon eel (Rhinomuraena quaesita), a moray eel species. Mature males turn a vivid blue and when they reach a length of sligtly less than 3 ft., they turn greenish-yellow and become females. The young males were thought to be a separate species for a long time.

Photobucket
Australian spotted jellyfish, Phyllorhiza punctata - jellyfish are very hard to keep and breed, among other things they are so fragile that they get torn apart by the currents made by a filter in a normal tank, when they get caught in the corners. The zoo uses a round tank with currents that carry the jellyfish in a circle, never touching the sides of the tank.

all photos taken at the Tropen-Aquarium of Hagenbecks Tierpark, published with kind permission.
See more critter photos at the Camera Critters meme

13 comments:

Dina said...

Fantastic critters today!
The eel--what a story.

Teena in Toronto said...

Cool pix! I used to have koi and they were fun to watch!

I played too :)

storyteller at Small Reflections said...

Kewl fishy critter photos! Thanks for the identifying info too ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Babooshka said...

That was such a relaxing post.

Cezar and Léia said...

Great pictures and I love the first one!
Happy camera critters and a nice Sunday for you!
purrs and love
Luna

Hootin' Anni said...

Super....the photos, all of them, are terrific.

My Critter is a bit buggy this week. Come see. Happy Saturday.

Snap said...

Thanks so much for the visit to Tropen-Aquarium. Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Wow....you are one super lady!!! I so want to thank you for going that extra mile with identifying that bug for me. Thank you, thank you. And now that you told me what it is, I Googled it and found that it's a 'pest' to some plants which of all that is listed with 'flea beetles'...I have only ONE of the plants outdoors, listed that it could become a nuisance. I'll keep my eye out for more. Thank you, thank you.

Jane said...

Lovely shots:) I like the jellyfish as well.

jabblog said...

Fish are fascinating. I used to love the catfish we put in our aquaria - and also the profligate guppies! Great photos!

Ladynred said...

These are interesting and wonderful shots of the fishes!

mimi said...

such a beautiful vibrant fish.

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

The aquarium shots are fabulous.

Since you are a rodent rescue person: An escaped gerbil tried to follow me home the other day. It kept walking toward me and then would hide on the road's edge as I approached it, then come out and follow me again. I was so taken by surprise, I didn't know what to do or even how to capture it. Surely, it was someone's pet. The buff color I have only seen in pet stores. What would you have done?