Saturday, October 31, 2009

Camera Critters: Book Scorpion

Photobucket

What's the ideal pet for a weird bug-loving librarian? Of course, a book scorpion. Yes, they really exist and there are a LOT of them around. There are 3300 different species worldwide, living in leaf litter, moss, bird nests and one species does indeed live in books, it's called Chelifer cancroides. This is the one that gave the whole order its common name, but the more correct name is Pseudoscorpion.

They are tiny, the biggest species reaching only 8 millimeters, and totally harmless. The pinchers are way too small to hurt a human, but they hunt insects and other invertebrates like book lice, moth larvae and or even small flies that may be bigger than they are.

Pseudoscorpions have elaborate mating rituals which include dancing, like real scorpions do, and the female will carry the eggs in a pouch under her belly. The babies stay there for a while after they are born and for while are fed by the female with a secretion from her ovaries.
They can produce silk from glands between their jaws and use it to build nests, for shelter, mating or molting while growing. Here the one my book scorpion made:
Photobucket

It's tiny, less than a centimeter long. My book scorpion was a female, as I learned when I noticed the egg sack under her belly, but she escaped from her home (a plastic box with some leaves, moss and sand) shortly after that. They can squeeze through the smallest cracks and I didn't put the lid on her home tightly enough I guess. Since she was a real book scorpion, I still hope that I may run across her or her offspring when reading one of my books.

Find out some more about pseudoscorpions here and find more critter photos at Xamera Critters

12 comments:

Dina said...

This is all new to me and fascinating! As long as it is a PSEUDOscorpion, fine.

I am at a dig this month where we have real scorpions and I don't even want to think about them.

Shalom to you and your critters.

Brenda's Arizona said...

From one librarian to another - I have never seen/found one of these critters! Are they more prevalent in dusty books, ya think?

Thanks for the research links and direction. I am off and hunting...

eileeninmd said...

Interesting post and a new critter for me. Great photos!

We love Luna said...

wow I'm scaring about it!This scorpion it's different , it's cool!
Thanks for all information!
Happy camera critters
purrs
Luna - We love Luna

Squirrel said...

Very interesting. I learned a lot and hope you post more like this in the future. Nice photo as well.

Lilli & Nevada said...

I have never heard of book Scorpion before, very interesting information thanks

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jennifer: That is such a neat story and photos, I never heard of them.

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

OK, you get the prize for most creative camera critters. I can't believe you breed roaches!!!! Most of the world works so hard to keep them out of their lives. One of my favorite bugs is Bess beetles.Chomp, chomp.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

What an interesting blog! I always wanted to be a librarian!

Marina said...

how very interesting! I really enjoyed your post and now I am wondering where she might have gone.....
:-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

In today’s rocky economic climate, most households are cutting back wherever they can. I too faced the problem and wated to cut down on
cable tv, I tried P2P, but then not impressed with it. I started collecting ways to watch my favorite tv shows online.
I have listed then in my blogspot, I try to cover as many tv shows and matches as possible, to help others like
me to watch their favorite sports or tv shows online for free.

But my list is not complete, I don't know where to find some international shows, for sports you have numerous resources, Can someone here help me with that?
Please tell me you favorite shows that you watch regularly and also some ideas to cover them. If you need to know the shows that I cover, then visit my blogs

[url=http://tvshows-watch-online-blogspot.com]Watch Online TV Shows for Free[/url]
[url=http://tv-shows-watch-online-blogspot.com]Watch Online Sports for Free[/url]