Saturday, November 14, 2009

Camera Critters: Poisoning Pigeons in the Park

Photobucket
I'm just kidding. And actually, there will be no pigeons in this post because we didn't see any. But we took some chicoree along to feed the birds, especially the coots who really like it if you make the pieces small enough. The gulls didn't say no either.
Photobucket
Photobucket
They're Black-headed gulls in winter plumage - called Lachmoewe, laughing gull in German, but the American laughing gulls are different birds alltogether (look very similar, though).
The crows didn't like it, but that didn't stop them from watching us closely in case something better would be produced. It's a bit creepy to be busy feeding gulls and then you feel the eyes of about twenty crows on you, standing behind you. Talk about The Birds.
Photobucket
Photobucket
carrion crow
Photobucket
hooded crow

Visit Camera Critters and see more animals!

9 comments:

Dina said...

Well, your title got my attention. :)

Chickoree? Isn't that what ersatz kaffe was made from?
You're so right about those crows.

Quilt Works said...

What a pretty water bird! I've never seen one like it!


I starteled a deer! Look at that tail!

Jedediah said...

To avoid any confusion: I got the title from a Tom Lehrer song, you can listen to ot here - I loved it ever since I heard Mandy Patinkin sing it. Check out Lehrer's other stuff, he's fun :)

eileeninmd said...

Great bird photos. I like the coots.

chubskulit said...

Great photos! You must have a really good camera to shot that up-close.

MY Camera Critters

Dina said...

These bird shots are great.
Thanks for your Tom Lehrer link.I listened to the song. It patches a hole in my education. (One of many)

Snap said...

Your title got my attention! Loved all the birds. Thanks!

eden said...

love all your photos. you captured them wonderfully.

nonizamboni said...

Incredible shots of each feathered friend. We still have a few coots passing through MN so I'm glad to know about hte chicory.
Nicely done!