Saturday, December 12, 2009

Camera Critters: Squirrel on a Train

I just found some photos that reminded me of the squirrel I met on the train home about a year ago.
I was taking the suburban train and was just reading and listening to some music when something red, small and fast jumped in through the closing doors. It was a squirrel that had probably tried to cross the station platform and now it was frantic, running all over the wagon.
With the help of some other people I managed to trap it with my leather jacket and then took it home (I had to get off at that station anyway), thinking that I would set it free in my backyard. But then I remembered about squirrels being territorial and that it had probably already begun to gather food for the winter. So I managed to get it into a kritter keeper at home and then took it back to where it came from.
Photobucket
See the hair tufts on the ears? They only have those in winter, to keep the ears warm, and the feet get hairy, too. It was a quite well-behaved squirrel, it didn't bite me, didn't pee on my jacket and it was pretty calm (or more likely scared stiff) once I had it in the box.

See the Camera Critters meme for more critters!

10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

He is a cool looking squirrel. I'm gald you were able to take it back to its own territory.

i beati said...

looking excited ha sandy

Snap said...

What a kind person you are. I'm sure he was happy to return to his own home. Love those tufts!

Denise said...

What an experience. I think you were that little squirrel's angel to take care of it so well. Lovely post!

Manang Kim said...

I will go for scared stiff ^_^ we have squirrel too here in my front yard but haven't seen like those standing ears. Thanks for sharing!


Camera Critters - Undesirable

Martha in PA said...

Adorable. What a good person you are for taking such good care of it and returning it to home!

My CC

Müge said...

What a pretty squirrel! You did the right thing by taking it back to its home. Have a good weekend!

chubskulit said...

You are so like my sis in law, she cured an injured squirrel one day before she let it go in the wild.

Did you ever ride a carabao?

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

What a lovely story!

Dina said...

You are so nice. Lucky squirrel.

Those ear tufts are so funny. :)