Friday, January 29, 2010

Camera Critters: Orang Utan

Photobucket
Tuan, the adult male of the Sumatran orang utan (Pongo pygmaeus abelii) group at Hagenbecks Tierpark. He's growing the typical cheeks of an adult male, here's how he loooked like last summer
Photobucket
Photobucket
Toba, one of the older females and the dominat one. She's holding a twig in her mouth that she used earlier to get some honey out of a hiding place, it's part of the enrichment program for the orangs.
Photobucket
Bella, the second oldest orang utan in captivity as far as I know. She's definitely the oldest to give birth, at 44 years in 2005 to her latest child, a daughter named Harapan.
Photobucket
Toba and Tuan sharing some food.
Here you can see some great photos of their enclosure.

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Cool shots of the Orangutan. I just love that first shot.

Captain Shagrat said...

The big guy in the hammock seems in a really reflective mood doesn't he. Every time I see Orang Utan they remind me of myself, being a ginger haired person:-)

chubskulit said...

We call it Uranggutang in the Philippines. Lovely photos!

Cows in the barn

Anna said...

Nice shots!

Joops said...

Lovely shots!

Flock of Starlings

Snap said...

I love Orang Utans ... great shots.

Helena said...

These are great captures. I love the looks on their faces ... so expressive.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jennifer: I love your Orangutan photo, very nicely captured.

Adrienne in Ohio said...

J, it's been such a long time since we last corresponded here in the blogosphere. Hope you have been well. Great photo of the orangutan.

Carletta said...

What great shots!
I thought in the first he looked lonely but I see he isn't. :)

Denise said...

The Orangatan's are great, as are your photographs. Thank you for sharing these beautiful animals.

Lisa said...

Great shots -- they made me smile!

Chie Wilks said...

wow...awesome shots..esp. the fist photo..when that big critter is sleeping on a swng...

(they look scary) but awesome shots!

mine's a bird