Monday, February 1, 2010

ABC Wednesday: C is for Captain Kirk

Photobucket

C is for Captain Kirk and for El Capitan. It's a 3000 foot granite monolith in Yosemite and Captain Kirk climbs it in Star Trek V - The Final Frontier. It's a highly enjoyable scene in an otherwise pretty bad movie, especially the roasting of marshmelons a bit later.
Kirk: What are you doing?
Spock: I am preparing to toast a marshmelon.
McCoy: Well, I'll be damned. A marshmelon. Where'd you learn to do that?
Spock: Before leaving the ship, I consulted the computer library to familiarize myself with the customs associated with 'camping out.'
McCoy: Well, tell me, Spock. What do you do after we toast the marsh— er, marshmelons?
Spock: We consume them.
McCoy: I know we consume them. I mean after that.
Spock: Oh. I believe we are required to engage in a ritual known as the 'singalong.'


I geeked out just a tiny bit when I stood in Yosemite valley and looked up at El Capitan, I'm a big Star Trek fan and it was cool to see it for myself. Not that El Capitan would need a movie to make it cool. Here's another view, with Half Dome on the right in the background.
Photobucket

What else does C stand for? Find out at ABC Wednesday

13 comments:

photowannabe said...

Too funny. I'm probably the only blogger that hasn't seen the Star Trek movies but have heard plenty about them. Good post and El Capitain is gorgeous.

Sylvia K said...

Gorgeous captures for the C day! That's one of my favorite places! Hope your week is going well!

Sylvia

Roger Owen Green said...

You're right: Star Trek 5 IS the worst of the 1st five. In fact, I never saw another film after that one. But good post!

Dina said...

Thanks for the video! I grew up along with the first Star Trek TV shows. Will always love the crew.

Carolyn Ford said...

Ahhh...Yosemite! Delightful it is!

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I enjoyed looking over you blog
God bless you

Tumblewords: said...

Spectacular photos! I've never seen Star Trek but am beginning to feel a slight urge. Do you think I'm too late? :)

jay said...

Oh, that was a fun post! I love Star Trek, too, and it's been a long time since I saw that scene! So funny!

Love the pictures of El Capitan, too. One day. One day, hopefully, I'll get there and see it for myself!

mrsnesbitt said...

Thanks for beaming aboard with such a great post!

Denise (ABC Team)

Mara said...

I wonder what roasted marshmelons would taste like!

The views look fantastic, wouldn't mind seeing it for myself sometime (I'll put it on my list, which is growing longer by the day)

mogrenewed said...

Great photos. I'm a trek fan too so am exceedingly jealous. I remember that scene too, as if Spock would make a mistake like that, marshmelons indeed

Joy said...

Ah well it was a Star Trek film with an odd number so what did you expect. On the plus side it was real rock and not the polystyrene that the shows seemed to inhabit. Great post.

Roger Owen Green said...

Why Kirk Is Climbing the Mountain.