Saturday, February 20, 2010

Camera Critters: Mole Crab

Photobucket

This weird critter is a mole crab, a member of the Hippoidea superfamily. I don't know the exact species, but I found it on a beach in Oregon, so it might be an Emerita analoga. The folks at the awesome Oregon Coast Aquarium identified it for me, I had never seen one before.
There were a ton of them moving around in the sand, getting uncovered by the waves and then digging down again in a flash - at first I wasn't even sure what I was seeing.

Mole crabs cannot walk, just dig through sand and they live on plankton they filter from the water. They are totally harmless and cannot pinch.

More critters can be found over at the Camera critters meme

14 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great photograph of an interesting creature.

eileeninmd said...

Cool critter and photo!

We love Luna said...

wow it's really different, thanks so much for sharing the new friends and the information about it!
Cool post!
purrs and love
Luna

Misty Dawn said...

Well, this is definitely a first for Camera-Critters! What a neat creature, and thank you for taking the time to teach us a little about it! Great post!

LeAnn * ~ See Great Things said...

I have never seen one of these and was not even aware they existed. How fun to find one. Thanks for sharing it!

Jane said...

Great shot of him, never heard of them before. Thanks for sharing him with us:)

Teena in Toronto said...

It is an odd creature, isn't it?

I played too :)

Müge said...

I've never seen this creature before! Very interesting!

valerie@composition-life said...

we learn something new everyday ! never say one of those before. very neat!

Wayne John said...

I always called em sandcrabs, there's usually a bunch over at Hermosa Beach here in So Cal.

They were always fun to catch when I was younger, good shot!

Johnny Nutcase said...

i love finding these little guys! they're so fast when they bury in the sand, kinda fun to dig after them. fun post! :)

Brooke said...

Definitely different looking critter. :)

Snap said...

Different, interesting and educational!

Oskar said...

Thannk you for sharing such a cool critter!