Saturday, March 6, 2010

Camera Critters: Nile Crocodile

Photobucket
The Nile Crocodiles (Crocodylus niloticus) at Hagenbecks Tierpark are fed a few times a week and they have to work for their food.
Photobucket
It's impressive to see them snap at the fish, the sound of their jaws snapping close it really loud and you just know that you never want to be on the wrong end of such a snap. They can rise from the water with 2/3 of their body without any problems.
Photobucket
Nile Crocodiles can bite down with a force of up to 5000 pounds, but the muscles that open their jaws are weak and can be held shut comparatively easily. A group of crocodiles is called a float, by the way.
Photobucket
See more animals at the Camera Critters meme - today it's the 100th CC!

4 comments:

Dina said...

Just the idea of crocodiles scares me.
Your photos are very dramatic.

i beati said...

sinister smile I see

Hazel said...

Up to 5,000 pounds! That's a lot of force. I guess I gazed more at the banana leaves than the beast. I'm a scaredy cat.

Cage Dragon said...

I wish I had a big enough house so I could own a few crocs. I find them so curious and cool. Why can't there be a smaller version of them that can be domesticated?!