Saturday, March 27, 2010

Camera Critters: Superb Bird of Paradise


Hello there... by ~IsisMasshiro on deviantART

This cute drawing (not mine!) shows the Superb Bird of Paradise (Lophorina superba), native to New Guinea. All Birds of Paradise are extravagant in their courtship rituals, but the Superb Bird of Paradise is among the most strange. If you think that the drawing is exaggerating, watch the video from the excellent BBC documentary Planet Earth:


See more animals over at the Camera Critters meme

5 comments:

LeAnn * ~ See Great Things said...

OMG, that was incredible!!! I have never seen such a thing. I thought that picture was just a joke because it was so outrageous. Wow!

Hootin' Anni said...

I've watched those only on National Geo. Aren't they a hoot...and so pretty too.

Here's MINE --White Winged Dove sittin' in a tree C O O I N G!!
[scroll down a bit in my Saturday post]

Adrienne in Ohio said...

We love the Planet Earth series, and I remember this episode. We felt sorry for him being rejected after such a display. I am still amazed at the clicking noise he makes with his feathers--it sounds like he's tap-dancing almost.

Snap said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

Jane said...

LOL at the cartoon, great post:)