Sunday, March 21, 2010

MyWorld Tuesday: Stuhlmannbrunnen

Photobucket
The Stuhlmannbrunnen was built in 1900, as a gift to the town of Altona (now a part of Hamburg) from Günther Ludwig Stuhlmann, the founder of the Altonaer Gas- and Water Works.
It's often said to be an allegory of the fights over fishing grounds ect. between Altona
Photobucket
and Hamburg, who is apparently loosing
Photobucket
The fountain was in bad shape and had to be renovated in the 90s, mostly paid for by private citizens and firms, who also paid for the continuing operation of the fountain, although it wasn't switched on when I took the photos.
When I first saw it, I thought it was ugly and oversized. But it sort of grew on me, a kind of adorable monstrosity.
Photobucket

See the world with MyWorld Tuesday

10 comments:

Sylvia K said...

It is an interesting statue and I suspect many of us have a fondness for something that defies the understanding of many! Great shot from your world! Have a great week!

Sylvia

Dina said...

It is very dramatic. I wouldn't have guessed the struggle was over fishing rights.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

That is such a cool statue with the mythical characters.

ewok1993 said...

I like the history behind the statue. It's not a monstrosity, although I have yet to see it in person :D

Coffeedoff said...

Wow Great Statue. fantastic deatails!

Babooshka said...

Always so informative

J Bar said...

Fascinating sculptures.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Wren said...

Are you sure it doesn't represent that political battle over health care reform in the US?

Randi said...

Wow...Absolutely fantastic! I could believe that they were fighting over fishing rights.
Have a great week!

SandyCarlson said...

Incredible drama here. Thanks.