Saturday, May 1, 2010

Camera Critters: Mason Bee

Photobucket
A femame Osmia cornuta, a European mason bee. They are solitary bees and will build their nest, one for each egg, in small crevices and holes. I know this is a female because she has those little horns on her head, the males don't have that.
She's dead, unfortunately, I don't know what killed her. Other females of her species are still visiting our balcony and I think we really need to get a nesting box for them, for example a block of wood with holes drilled into it. Solitary bees and wasp will accept such artificial nests gladly and it's an easy way to make your garden or balcony more insect friendly. They are also not at all aggressive, so there's no need to be afraid of them.
Here is a great website that shows how to make such bee homes.

Photobucket

Go to Camera Critters for more animals pictures!

7 comments:

Ladynred said...

a beautiful bee! Great shots!

allhorsestuff said...

I love the information about the bees!
KK

Snap said...

Wonderful post. I saw a bee house in a catalog recently ... making one would be cheaper! Thanks for the info!

EG Wow said...

Very interesting information. We have a similar mason bee here in Canada.

Misty Dawn said...

Very informative post! I stepped on a yellow jacket nest when I was young. So, now I have a bit of a fear of bees, but I'm working on overcoming that and have been doing quite well.

Kristin said...

Thanks for the informative and interesting post.

Have a nice weekend. :-)

Tina said...

i love the close up shots. suprrisingly they dont look as creepy and are really beautiful!

My entry is at my Mummy Diaries blog. Hope you can stop by :)