Sunday, June 13, 2010

MyWorld Tuesday: Winterhude and Eppendorf

Photobucket
I think what I like best about Hamburg is how green it is and all the water. You can reach a lot of places per boat and here's one, the Ammersbek (built in 1939), one of the Alsterdampfer. They used to be real steam engine ships, but topday there's only one left which will take you from Barmbek to the Jungfernstieg on the weekend. It's a trip I can only recommend!
a view over the canal
Photobucket

Both Winterhude and Eppendorf are a very beauitful parts of Hamburg, with lots of lovely houses and apartments. Maybe one day I'll be rich enough to live there.
Photobucket

here's my favourite building there, the St Johanniskloster. It's was built in 1912 and it used to be a nunnery. Now it's a home for widows and old ladies with a religious background, who don't want to become nuns, but still want to live a live of contemplation and religion. It's called a Damenstift in German and I couldn't find a precise translation, maybe one of you will know?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
The St. Johanniskirche was established in 1267, but may be even older. It's one of the oldest parishes in Northern Germany in any case. The age of the church is a bit difficlut to determine, the tower probably used to be a watchtower and was converted into the square tower you see today in 1751, the rest of the church is about 400 years old. It's extremely popular for marriages and is nicknamed the Hochzeitskirche, the wedding church.

Photobucket
The Kellinghusenbad. Built in 1914, it's a public swimming pool and a really gorgeous one. There used to be a register office and a public library in the same building. I bet they had lots of trouble with water damaged books!

Lastly, I found nice examples of two types of building you can find everywhere in Hamburg
Photobucket
The brick building, often from the 20s, and very much part of the townscape of Hamburg. I live in such a building myself and I love it, it looks great and it keeps very cool during the summer. The most famouse brick building is probably the Chilehaus.
Photobucket
And the period building, usually with a brightly painted facade, the apartments huge with high ceilings and often with Art Nouveau elements. This one even has a corner shop, a Tante Emma Laden (Aunt Emma shop), something that's getting rare these days.

Travel the world with MyWorld Tuesday

14 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jennifer: It looks like a wonderful town with a lot of great clock towers.

Barb said...

The architecture is very interesting, but I kept going back to that great river view!

Riet said...

Such a nice place I can see.

Martha Z said...

Thank you for showing us this lovely part of the world. Brick buildings are uncommon in California (unless you count the old adobe). Earthquakes make bick unsafe.
I'm glad you enjoyed my Yosemite post, considering your header I'm not surprised your also familiar with Yosemite.

Sylvia K said...

What a lovely world you have, Jennifer! Love the architecture, towers and that beautiful river! I love all the houses/buildings that you've shared with us! They're really beautiful! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

Carver said...

What a beautiful and appealing town. I think seeing the sites from a boat would be great fun there.

ρομπερτ said...

I did grow up in Eppendorf and went to the first class there as well. Thank you for the memories so very much. Hope you are having a nice time there and that the weather is good. Please have a great Tuesday.

daily athens

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

It looks like a lovely place, cruising on the river would be relaxing.
Cheers.
Melbourne Daily Photo

Arija said...

Love the idea of a 'Tante Emma Lade' where you can probably nip down to get whatever you have forgotten. I would not mind spending my last days in the Damenstift with a lovely large bay window and likeminded people i one of the posher suburbs. Such a pity I am not one for organised religion.
I love all the waterways in Hamburg too.

Mar said...

How lovely!!! we used to live in Eppendorf/Siemssenstr....Kellinghusenstr. was my train station. Ahhh, wonderful memories, thanks!!

Ramosforest.Environment said...

Beautiful trip and town.
Luiz Ramos

ewok1993 said...

europe fascinates me with her grand architecture, romantic canals, gastronomic delights, friendly people, etc etc.

wish i could see more of it though ;)

have a great week.

Dave said...

thank you for the tour of your world, excellent photos.

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

So many great photos. A real travelogue. Lovely.

Jan
GDP