Monday, November 22, 2010

ABC Wednesday: S is for Spotted Thick-knee

Photobucket
The Spotted Thick-Knee (Burhinus capensis) is a tropical bird that is common in the south of Africa. They belong to the Stone-Curlew or Dikkop family .
Photobucket
Spotted Thick-Knees are nocturnal and feed on insects, lizards and even small mammals. They nest on the ground and will always lay two eggs, the chicks are able to follow their parents right after hatching.
Photobucket
They can reach an age of 20 years, even in the wild, and will stay mostly in one place for all their life. They may migrate over a distance if heavy rains flood their habitat, but will return after a while.

Photos taken at Frankfurt Zoo (adult with chick) and Duisburg Zoo
What else does S stand for? Go to ABC Wednesday and find out.

14 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

They are adorable, I loved the picture with mommy bird and the baby bird, a lovely moment!
Thanks for sharing,
Léia

Sylvia K said...

Always learn something about birds and animals that I didn't know before I read your posts! Another terrific one for the S Day! What a lovely bird is the Spotted Thick-knee!! Hmmmm I could be one of those these days!! Have a great week!

Sylvia

VioletSky said...

Oh, these poor, cute birds, having to live for so long with such funny legs and an unglamorous name!
That fuzzy baby really is adorable.

photowannabe said...

Very interesting post for today. I never heard the name before but it fits perfectly. Cute little guy with the huge feet.

Reader Wil said...

As always an interesting and beautiful post! Amazing that these birds can become 20 years old! I didn't know this.

Roger Owen Green said...

Like these birds, which are unfamiliar to me.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team.

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful post! I've never heard of them, so that's the second African bird I learned about this week.
Thanks!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Babooshka said...

Well they are a completely new bird to me and one to drop in conversation down the local pub. Really interesting post.

Tumblewords: said...

So interesting. They do have bubbly knees. Cute birds and superb snaps!

MorningAJ said...

What a cute chick!

EG Wow said...

Sweet birds. Spotted Thick-knees sure is an interesting name. :)

Paula Scott said...

I love how they look and I love their names! Thick knees, huh? They are beautiful.

Gattina said...

To me very exotic looking birds, they look like leopard birds, lol !

mrsnesbitt said...

Totally fascinating!
Thanks so much
Denise ABC Team