Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Nature Notes: Backyard with Bird

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I took all these photos a few days ago in the yard behind my house - no-one else has been there since it snowed and it felt a bit like sacrilege to leave footprints in the snow.
Photobucket
The weather has been cold and without any wind, so the trees are still covered in a frosting of snow. The first time I tried to take a photo like this, the crystals melted because I breathed on them while focusing the camera.
Photobucket
The day after that, the weather was gorgeous and the trees looked especially beautiful against the blue sky.
Photobucket
See if you can find the Short-Toed Tree Creeper (Certhia brachydactyla) here (click for bigger version):
Photobucket
I cropped another photo a bit, he's right in the middle of the picture:
Photobucket

Nature Notes is hosted by Rambling Woods

The caterpillar from last time is staying in the fridge now, by the way. It has fallen into a torpor and if it works out as planned, I will be able to put it outside to pupate in a coulpe of months.

In response to a question in the comments: the Brown Creeper is a different species (Certhia americana), but from the same family and genus. It's the only North American Treecreeper species.

8 comments:

VioletSky said...

I love the feathery look of the frost on the trees. I laughed when you said you had melted your subject by breathing!

helenmac said...

You truly have a winter wonderland!

Carver said...

It looks like your natural world is a winter wonderland. These are all fantastic shots. Wishing you a happy new year to come.

KaHolly said...

Brrrr!! You captured the feeling of cold quite well with these beautiful pictures. ~karen

EG Wow said...

The crystals are very beautiful! I hope you are staying warm. :)

eileeninmd said...

Cool sighting, they really blend in well with the tree. Is this the same as the Brown Creeper?

A piece of news said...

Those crystals are so delicate. And the tree against the winter-blue sky is striking. Good luck with the caterpillar.

Rambling Woods said...

I was going to ask as Eileen did if you have tree creepers because that little bird looks just like the ones I have in my yard. Beautiful photos of winter's best Jennifer...Michelle