Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Nature Notes: Birds on Ice

I spent Christmas at my parents' home and they have a very active bird feeder in front of the dining room window. Above is a female blackbird (Turdus merula), she keeps close to the feeder, as does her mate, but I didn't get a photo of him (he's black, with a bright yellow beak).
Photobucket
A European Robin (Erithacus rubecula), it comes every day to feed on the suet-filled coconut.
Photobucket
A European Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus), he always pops into the feeder to get a sunflower seeds and then cracks the seeds sitting on the edge of the feeder or the hedge with a good view of everything that goes one.
Photobucket
A Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus), those are so tiny and adorable
Photobucket
a leftover rosehip
Photobucket
Aaron's Beard (Hypericum calycinum), you may also know it as Rose of Sharon, Jerusalem Star or Great st-John's Wort
Photobucket
thy ivy is full of icicles
Photobucket

See if you can find all three birds here:
Photobucket

Nature Notes is hosted by Michelle at Rambling Woods

6 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

I love seeing the birds from another country and comparing them to the ones we have here in the states. But one thing is universally true and that is that they all love the bird feeders...Michelle

Carver said...

The birds are so much fun to watch in the winter, although I know they have a rough time when it's cold. The icicles on the ivy are amazing. Great shots.

Leora said...

I didn't know a rose of sharon (I have some in my backyard) had so many names. Love the Blue Tit - what a cutie. Beautiful photos in general.

EG Wow said...

I LOVE seeing the European birds! I hope you'll post more in the weeks to come. :)

MyMaracas said...

It is a joy to meet someone with such a sense of wonder. Most of us lose that so early in life.

Thanks for stopping by at my blog! I'm happy to have found yours, and especially enjoyed the idea of you feeding broccoli to that forlorn little caterpillar and nursing it through the winter. The moth it will be is quite lovely.

KaHolly said...

It is so much fun to see pictures of birds from away. I always get a charge out of seeing pictures of a (European) Robin, they are so very different from ours. I hope some day to see all these birds in person. ~karen