Tuesday, January 25, 2011

ABC Wednesday: B is for Binturong

binturong2
Binturongs (Arctictis binturong) are also called bearcats, but they are neither bears nor cats. They are related to civets and genets, sharing the family of the Viverridae with them. It's unknown what the word Binturong means because the language it's from is no longer spoken.
The pose in the photo is pretty typical for a binturong during the day and they don't move all that much during the night when they are most active.
binturong1
They can climb very well using their tails and claws and they are able to rotate their hindlegs so that they can hold on even when they climb down a tree head first. Binturongs mainly feed on fruit, but will also take small rodents, birds, eggs and leaves.
binturong3
Native to South East Asian rainforest, the binturong's habitat is threatened by deforestation. The animal itself is sometimes hunted for food. They live in groups or as single animals and give birth to 1-6 babies twice a year. It is believed that the females can delay pregnancies so that they give birth when the conditions are best for raising the litter.

The Binturong is the last entry in my animal ABC (I started with C is for Chulengo)! I'll try to do a Hamburg ABC next, although I'm not sure if I can find all the letters.

See what else B stands for with ABC Wednesday.

All photos were taken at Burgers' Zoo.

18 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

How interesting!
Jane x

Sylvia K said...

Always learn something new about the wonderful world of animals, Jennifer! And this is an animal I knew nothing about! Fascinating post for the day! Hope your week is going well!

Sylvia

Vicki said...

Jennifer,
Thank you for a great, informative post. I also, have never heard of this animal. Nice pictures too!

anthonynorth said...

Great pics and informative post.

Dina said...

This is a cute animal.
Thanks for all your alphabet of strange animals all year.

And thanks for your answer about tree braiding. I added it to my post and in the comments. It's quite amazing how that can be done.

photowannabe said...

This is kind of an unatractive creature but fascinating all the same. You have done a great job on all the animals for the alphabet.

Berowne said...

Very interesting, Jennifer.
"All photos were taken at Burgers' Zoo."
Though I'm not sure I'd want to eat a burger that was sold at a zoo.
(Jes' kiddin')

Jedediah said...

Berowne: I've been to a zoo that actually sells meat and sausages from the animals they keep.

Roger Owen Green said...

A great run of animals. Look forward to your next contributions.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Reader Wil said...

This animal is absolutely new to me.Thanks for introducing it! Are you going to write the Hamburg ABC in German?

Jedediah said...

Wil: I'll continue to write in English so I can share with all the people on ABC Wednesday.

Wanda said...

I don't believe you will ever run out of unusual or unique animals. What a treat to come here week after week and see new things from God's creation and sense of humor.

Tumblewords: said...

Great post, as always. This little critter reminds me of a sloth, kind of. He does look comfy resting on his limb.

Cheryl said...

Now I have a new animal to compare myself to when I'm being lazy. "Gee honey, I've been feeling like a binterong all day long."

I actually think this guy is pretty cute in a slothlike way.

Cheryl
ABC Team

Eryl said...

Goodness, I have never head of a binturong. Thank you for enlightening me.

Kay L. Davies said...

I've heard to the binturong, and seen pictures before, but yours are great - and the information about its hind legs is amazing.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

NanU said...

Now there's an animal who knows how to nap.

Rambling Woods said...

What an interesting animal and how sad that so many creatures are threatened do to habitat loss...I wonder if we will be in that same position someday having outdone ourselves....Michelle