Tuesday, January 11, 2011

ABC Wednesday: Z is for Zebu

Photobucket
A Zebu is a species of domesticated cattle descended from the Auerochs. They are mainly kept in South Asia and Indian in particular.
Photobucket
There are many different breeds, the ones shown here are dwarf zebus. Some breeds have been interbred with taurine cattle. Taurine cattle is the cattle that's common in Europe and North America, it's possible that zebus and taurine cattle have been bred from different subspecies of the Auerochs.
Photobucket
Zebus are also called Humped Cattle, although the hump is not as obvious with the dwarf zebus here than with other breeds. They are bred for both milk and beef, but can also be used as draught animals and sometimes, zebus are seen in rodeos.
All photos were take at Hagenbecks Tierpark.
Find out what else Z stands for with ABC Wednesday

18 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Such an interesting post as always, Jennifer! Love your photos! And, as always, I learned something new! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

photowannabe said...

Well, I learned a new Z word today. I never saw this animal before. Great pictures and information.

Roger Owen Green said...

Oh, yeah, I forgot about zebus. Good choice.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

richies said...

I had never heard of Zebus before. Thanks for a great post.

An Arkies Musings

Wanda said...

I'm sorry we have come to the end as I have learned more about unusual animals from you in this 26 weeks.

Looking forward to more~

mrsnesbitt said...

What is a draught animal?

Carver said...

I wasn't familiar with zebu. Great shots and information.

Michelle said...

Thank you so much Jennifer..what was little I can translate most of it is about my husband's family with photos and all. I can't find a way to translate the whole thing....Michelle

EG Wow said...

Another informative post! I enjoy learning about the animals from around the world!

Kay L. Davies said...

I love the one of the zebu walking with the goat. Great stuff!
Now I have to look up auroch - oh, they became extinct in 1627. That's not very long ago. I thought perhaps they were prehistoric. Learn something new every day. Thanks, Jennifer.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Jama said...

I've never heard of the word Zebu but I recognise the animal. In Malaysia , they are called Kerbau or buffalo.

Tumblewords: said...

Always a fascinating post! Surprised that these might be rodeo material.

Paula Scott said...

Oh! That dwarf zebu is adorable!

RuneE said...

You have had a very interesting series - species from A - Z. I have learned a lot. Thank you!

ChrisJ said...

Good new word for me. The brown ones look gentle, the others not so much - but then I shouldn't discriminate. It upsets me that black cats at the shelter are always the last to be adopted.

jabblog said...

The zebus look very peaceful animals. Lovely photos :-)

Y. Ikeda said...

They are so cute! This is very informative post and I could learn a lot. Thanks for sharing and commenting on my blog.
Yoshi

Misfit in Paradise said...

Great find for the letter Z. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Donna