Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Nature Notes: Tree Fungi

IMG_4268
I love tree fungi. They tend to be overlooked because they are (mostly) not edible and not as flashy as, say, the Fly Agaric. But they are beautiful.
IMG_4260
I don't have a picture, but Tinder Fungus (Fomes fomentarius) was and is used for making fire. It can also be used to make hats and even cloaks and as a hemostatic.
IMG_4249
I don't know what species I have photographed, but I like how different they all are and how colourful.
Edit: I identified at least this one, I think, as Trametes versicolor
IMG_4261
IMG_4270

Nature Notes is hosted by Michelle at Rambling Woods

8 comments:

Mama Zen said...

Gorgeous shots!

Carver said...

I love tree fungi too and you took some great shots of it.

Rambling Woods said...

I have taken a few photos and tried to ID some of the fungi from the woods... not an easy task and I didn't know that you could use some to make a fire depending on the species.... Regarding my NN post, even with my yard, I don't think I will ever have a yard that would support nature naturally.. I also put up some info on first aid for a window strike bird victim....Michelle

Marvin said...

The color combinations are beautiful. Great shots.

MyMaracas said...

Beautiful colors and textures in your shots, and an interesting link to follow. I wonder how people make clothes out of that tinder fungus?

Johnny Nutcase said...

great series! I love all kinds of fungi, fascinating organisms! love the soft focus on some of the shots, really nice!

Leora said...

These are quite interesting - when I see one, I will pay more attention next time.

KaHolly said...

Oh, me too, me too! And there are so many different kinds!