Tuesday, February 1, 2011

ABC Wednesday: C is for Cap San Diego

IMG_5359
The Cap San Diego is a bulk carrier. She used to make the run between Hamburg and South America, often Buenos Aires, taking such things as chemicals, and livestock on the way to South America and coffee, meat and textiles back to Hamburg. A small number of passengers could also travel on board in surprising comfort.

IMG_5364
In the 1980, the big container ships replaced the bulk carriers and in 1986, the Cap San Diego was to be scrapped, but the city of Hamburg bought her. She was restored and is now a museum ship, currently hosting an exhibition about immigrants who started into their new life overseas from Hamburg.

IMG_5376
The Cap San Diego is still seaworthy and leaves Hamburg every year for a trip to Cuxhaven and for other trips. You can book a stay on the Cap in one of the passenger cabins and if you want to spend a bit more money, you can actually charter the whole ship.

IMG_5362
This is the second big museum ship in the port of Hamburg, the Rickmer Rickmers. She's a three masted bark launched in 1896 and made runs to Asia and later mainly to Chile for salpetre. From 1924 to 1962 she was a training ship in Portugal, after having been confiscated after WWI. She returned to Hamburg in 1983. Here's a stamp that show her under sails

By the way, you tend to have a much more spectacular view of the port from where I stood to take those photos. I had waited for sunshine for three weeks, this was the last possible weekend and the fog just wouldn't lift. It was like a white wall someone erected right on the middle of the Elbe. Good thing I hadn't planned on getting any clear photos of the Blohm & Voss docks.
IMG_5356

See what else C stands for with ABC Wednesday.
I'm going to try for a complete Hamburg ABC, after my animal ABC. Some letters are tricky (Y...), but I hope I can come up with something for each one.

20 comments:

Hildred and Charles said...

Wonderful to hear of the renewed life for these ships.

Carver said...

Great idea for the letter C. Very informative and I enjoyed the shots of the ship.

RuneE said...

A post I liked very much. It was very interesting to read about the old bulk carrier, but the sail ship won with me :-)

richies said...

The Cap San Diego is interesting, but I love the Tall Ship

An Arkies Musings

Sylvia K said...

Wonderful and very interesting post for the C Day, Jennifer! I love ships and it is indeed great to hear of the renewed life of these. Of course, the sailing ship is my favorite. Hope you have a lovely week! Enjoy!

Sylvia
ABC Team

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow these pictures are wonderful, I love the misty, a mysterious feeling in all!
Great post for the letter C!
Léia

Reader Wil said...

I am glad these ships are still around, for I am always sorry when a ship is no longer used.

Thanks for your comment . I forgot to tell this: My daughter in Australia wrote this book together with a friend of hers. They went several times a week to Roy McIver, who is an uncle of my daughter's first husband, and recorded his stories on an audio cassette. Back at home she put these stories on the computer and printed them. It took her and her friend two years to finish the book in Roy McIver's own words. The cockatoos are the tribal animals of two tribes in Cape York. They are also symbolic for the reconcilliation of the white Australian people and the Aborigines

Eryl said...

Imagine chartering that whole ship, wow! If i could afford that I'd wander round it alone like a ghost.

Rather like the misted dock shot.

Joy said...

It looks very atmospheric with the fog, especially the sailing ship. We have had quite a lot of sea fog here too, but not three weeks of it.

Kay L. Davies said...

It always makes me happy to hear of ships being put to another use and not cut up for scrap. Thank you!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

photowannabe said...

I know you wanted sunshine but the fog does give a wonderful accent to your story. Great post.

Roger Owen Green said...

my sister's from SD! impressive ship.
On behalf of the ABC Wednesday team, Thank you! ROG

Tumblewords: said...

Gorgeous ships! Thanks for sharing this remarkable information...

Wanda said...

Cap San Diego is a beautiful ship. I love picures of ships, this was a treat.

Rambling Woods said...

We have a naval museum on the lake front in Buffalo NY and I haven't been there and I should... There are many things to see in my own area and I need to get out and do it.. Thank you for putting the idea in my head....Michelle

ChrisJ said...

Well anything with San Diego on it is OK by me. We've lived close by for 38 years (almost). What a great city! -- and a great post.

Ann Nichols said...

Such an interesting blog! I'm your newest follower and so looking forward to more great posts!
What an amazing ship...so glad it wasn't torn apart!
Ann

EG Wow said...

The Cap San Diego appears to have been restored beautifully. Hamburg must be a very deep harbour!

Carola said...

Great photos from the Cap San Diego and a unique idea for this ABC Wednesday.

Dina said...

I'm so glad they saved these beautiful ships. They are so full of history.
Three solid weeks of fog? That's hard.