Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Nature Notes: Meet Arti Morty

IMG_5400
Arti Morty is a Syrian hamster, about 8 months old. He was given up for adoption at the shelter along with his siblings and extended family, I think there were more than 20 hamsters. The hamster rescue I volunteer for took them all in and Arti has stayed with me.

IMG_5389
He's a teddy hamster which means that he has really fluffy, long fur. That may look cute, but he can't really keep himself clean all that well and has bedding and poop stuck to his back all the time. Which is why I cut his fur every two weeks or so, he doesn't seem to mind.

IMG_5393
Arti has had bad luck with finding a new home, the two people who were interested never got back to me. I wouldn't mind if they can't take him for some reason, but is it too much to ask to write a short mail to say so?
Anyway, if he's still here when my own dwarf hamster isn't around anymore, Arti will stay for good. Syrian hamsters were my first furry pets and I have a special place in my heart for them.

Nature Notes is hosted by Michelle at Rambling Woods

8 comments:

Carver said...

He's a cutie and I know he's happy to have a good home with you, unless another good home is found for him.

EG Wow said...

Arti Morty is such a cute Syrian hamster. I think he's very lucky to have found you. You are very kind to take him in until someone else decides to adopt him.

Judy Sheldon-Walker said...

He is adorable. I always wanted a hamster as a child so I bought one of my children one. lol

MyMaracas said...

What a face! I'm not sure I could give him up.

srp said...

Before I could live somewhere where I could have cats and dogs, I had gerbils... they are so cute. We had a large aquarium with a wooden lid on top. We also had one of those tube gerbil habitats with all sorts of places to run and hide. My gerbils were all named Bozo. I had a large clear ball and would put him in it and let him roll around the apartment. We had a Siamese by then and Bozo was so curious he rolled that ball right up to Shamroc. The cat was scared to death and ran... Bozo following him in that rolling ball as fast as his little legs would run. He loved Froot Loops for treats. What memories.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Such a sweet looking pet.

Serline said...

Very cute, but brings back memories of my own hamster and the not so happy ending years ago...

Regarding the waxed duck, the ingredients are simply duck and salt in a 7:1 ratio. The actual process is a bit more complicated, but I can only find it in Chinese web sites like these http://www.meishij.net/chufang/diy/rujiangcai/99687.html. If you are keen, I can translate in more detail.

Rambling Woods said...

Awww...you know I have a special place in my heart for rats and other little guys.. It is so nice of you to foster. I know our local SPCA has many little ones up for adoption... Also thank you for the Buffalo Blogger site... Michelle