Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Nature Notes: Autumn Colours

IMG_8912
Summer is slowly winding down, I already put the first chestnut in my pocket where it will stay until next year. The tea crabapples (Malus hupehensis) are getting ripe, they will make good food for song thrushes that migrate down from Scandinavia. They are edible for humans as well, but they are better as apple jelly than raw.

IMG_8910
water lily

IMG_8917
rose hips...I wish they didn't have those hairy pips

IMG_8920
I'm not sure what this is, it grew at the edge of a pond

IMG_8922
reeds - it started to rain right after I took this shot

I'm hoping for a sunny autumn, there's nothing quite like a sunny autumn day with colourful leaves, mushrooms and chestnuts everywhere.

Nature Notes is hosted by Michelle at Rambling Wiids

No comments: