Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Nature Notes: Autumn

IMG_9090
A late rose.
Things go bump in the night in my street and I know autumn has arrived. The street is lined with oaks and the acorns make quite a noise hitting the cars parked there, especially at night. It's a bad year for chestnuts, though, there are only very few. But I have already filled my pockets with them.
IMG_9087

IMG_9074
a big Diadem Spider (Araneus diademantus), it had build its web tethered to a motorcycle and there were already two abandoned ones, I guess the owner doesn't take his bike out much

IMG_9111
Orphan John (Hylotelephium telephium) is a good pee pasture, especially this late in the year. The many names of this plant made me smile: Orpine, Livelong, Frog's-stomach, Harping Johnny, Life-everlasting, Live-forever, Midsummer-men, Orphan John, Witch's Moneybags - one more fanciful than the other
IMG_9112

IMG_9057
I don't know what this flower is called, but I pass it on my way to work every morning and I always enjoy the lovely flowers.

IMG_9063
huge mushroom, easily as big as my whole hand

IMG_9123
A hoverfly sipping nectar. I think it's Eristalis interrupta, but I'm not sure. It was a big one in any case, larger than a honeybee.

Nature Notes is hosted by Michelle at Rambling Woods

No comments: