Sunday, August 12, 2012

I'd Rather B Birdin': Camping Bird

IMG_4375

A couple of birds I saw at the KOA campground in Flagstaff, AZ. Birding from the lawnchair next to the RV for the win.
This one is an Acorn Woodpecker, Melanerpes formicivorus.They store acorns in holes they make into trees, so-called granay trees, and can gather up enough to fill a hole tree. They live in groups and it's not uncommon for a whole group to tend to such a tree.

I didn't hear it call, but Woody Woodpecker's call was probably modelled after the Acorn Woodpecker's call.

IMG_4372

IMG_4357

A Common Grackle, Quiscalus quiscula, at least I think it is. Above is a male, although you cannot see the iridescent feathers and below is what I believe to be a juvenile.

IMG_4350

More birds at I'd Rather B Birdin'

No comments: