Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Nature Notes: Balcony

IMG_6459_01
My balcony this year has a lot of herbs. This is lavender

IMG_6462_01
and here's some kind of salve (Salvia spec.), not the kind you can eat though. But the bumblebees love the flowers and those of the lavender.
I also grow salve (Salvia officinalis)for cooking or tea and spearmint for tea and insects enjoy their flowers very much as well. If you want to do something for solitary bees and wasps (who do not sting!), then build an insect hotel - a bunch of hollow twigs from an elder bush, dried and hung up somewhere is enough to attract many species.

IMG_6466_01
spearmint, not yet in bloom

IMG_6463_01
Here's my pitcher plant that I thought I had killed after I let the pot dry out during the winter. But it came back anyway. I also grow raspberries this year, but they'll probably not bear fruit until next year.

IMG_6479_01
and here's the squirrel that comes around to pick up the walnuts I leave out for it. Its winter fur is much thicker, the tail is bushier and it will grow tufts of fur on its ears when it gets cold again.

No comments: